This interactive 3-day course will cover the entire asset life cycle for cables, combining theoretical background with practical experience to provide vital knowledge to understand power cable design, selection and operation and maintenance best practices. Through a better understanding of these key aspects of the cable life cycle, the Participant will acquire the skills to start developing power cable reliability improvement strategies.
The wide range of different cable designs and materials used within the industry, across all different voltage classes, will be discussed including self-contained fluid-filled, PILC/MIND, PE, XLPE, TR-XLPE and EPR cable designs. Each design presents different challenges to the cable engineer. Doble encourages participants to bring their unique real-world problems for discussion.
Upon completion of this course, the participant will be able to:
- Understand types of AC cables used in electric power industry at medium-, high- and extra high-voltage (up to 380 kV). The training includes the different types of cables, cable materials and cable systems.
- Discover how understanding aging characteristics of insulating materials can help extend asset life.
- Understand how to determine the condition of electrical apparatus using field electrical tests, what tests to use for what cable types and how to interpret the results.
- Learn about operational considerations for hot climates and corrosive environments.
- Establish correct process for performing forensic examination of cable samples recovered from service as part of an asset management program to understand the cable health and state of degradation.
Electrical engineers working in operations, maintenance, engineering, or other service field in which knowledge of cable design and electrical testing methods and evaluation is required part of job responsibility.
Title: Cable Design & Diagnostic Testing
Duration: Three Days
Class Size: 8 -15 Attendees
Credits: Up to 2.4 CEUs or 24 Professional Development Hours
Scheduled Class Dates:
Jul. 21-23 | Marlborough, MA
Scheduled Course Price: $1600
For information on scheduling a course at your location or for other questions, please contact sales.