Class is in Session: How Training Courses Are Helping Companies Bridge the Relay Protection Skills Gap
When it comes to relay protection, the impact of an untrained workforce of technicians and engineers can have a significant and negative effect on a company’s financial performance. Given the potential high cost of a mistake or oversight, the issue is capturing the full attention of utilities, testing companies and industrial and power plants.
There are many factors that have led companies to reemphasize training in their quest for better relay protection performance from their technicians and engineers. While cost is certainly the primary driving force, companies have come to better appreciate the complexities associated with ensuring better relay protection. They have concluded that their people need assistance and have begun to seek out the appropriate training assets to make it happen.
At the center of the issue is that technology is advancing, which makes relays very sophisticated and complex. Constant refreshers and reference materials are needed to keep personnel current. Microprocessor relays are implementing protection that is both dynamic and adaptive which creates an added layer of complexity for field personnel.
Couple these issues with the fact the workforce is shrinking, with fewer people entering the field than leaving, which creates a significant skills gap. Few colleges and universities offer the level of power system programs required to be successful. Moreover, regulations are coming down strong on relay protection applied at utilities. Regulators want very rigorous testing procedures that require skillsets most of today’s personnel simply doesn’t possess.
How Doble Can Help
When considering the urgency of the issue at hand, it becomes clear the workforce charged with relay protection needs training at a very fast pace and with the right type of curriculum.
Doble Protection trainings are designed to provide a one stop shop in terms of the training and resources materials required to become proficient in relay protection. Key features and advantages of Doble Protection courses include:
- Doble protection courses teach both theory and hands on testing, and include training on use of microprocessor relays and electromechanical relays.
- Doble courses are also graduated into Basic, Intermediate and Advanced levels, catering to the needs of different groups of technicians based on their experience levels.
- Doble offers courses for engineers covering the theory and application of relays on transmission lines, industrial facilities and power plants. Experienced technicians can also benefit by taking these courses.
- Doble Protection Training courses are eligible for Continuing Education Units (CEUs) and most are also eligible for NETA Continuing Technical Development Credits(CTDs).
- Doble Protection courses are offered at our facility or on location at the customer facility. We conduct courses in the United States and Canada and in other countries upon request.
- Training can be custom designed to meet the specific needs of your company. We work with the training departments of different utilities to customize programs that align with the overall training goals of the utilities.
As the dynamics of relay protection continue to evolve, training is the best option for keeping your personnel on top of changing technology and requirements.
Discover how a Doble Protection training program can expand your capabilities and set your team up for the future.
- Visit: Doble Protection Training Program website
- Download: 2018 Protection Training Calendar
- Earn Credits: Learn more about earning credits at Doble training and educational events